Reviews of the Best Spinning Rod And Reel Combo
If you enjoy fishing, you know there is a huge market for fishing gear out there and tons of options to choose from. Whether you are a beginner or have been fishing for more years than you can remember, locating the right type of fishing gear that is also high quality and durable can be a challenge. One way to avoid buying a lot of equipment is to get a spinning rod and reel combo which will increase your efficiency as well as your performance. Here are a few tips to help you pick out the best spinning rod and reel combo for you.
What is a Fishing Rod and Reel Combo?
There is a variety of types of fishing equipment in the market today. When trying to choose the best equipment, there are several questions you need to ask yourself before you can decide on the right equipment for your particular fishing needs. Rod and reel combos are equipped with a rod (not a pole) as well as a reel. The rod offers a guide for the line as well as a way to attach a reel. A pole is just a typical long stick that does not have the parts necessary to increase fishing efficiency.
Things to Consider When Buying A Rod And Reel Combo
Where Will You Fish?
Fishing in freshwater involves a shorter and smaller road that will increase your flexibility. The line weight and reel size should be consistent with the size of the rod that you use. Bass, trout and other river and lake fish react to different types of lines and bait that use different sized rods.
Saltwater fishing is done from a boat, a pier or from shore. Shore and pier fishing will usually work with a saltwater/freshwater combo rod, while fishing from a boat is usually for larger fish, you need a dedicated rod for saltwater fishing.
What Type of Fish Do You Plan To Catch?
The rod and reel that you decide on will ultimately determine the type of fish you will catch. Different breeds of fish live in different lakes, rivers and bodies of water.
" Fish size is also important when deciding on a rod and reel as well as the type of fish and the bait you use. Fishing strategies such as trolling and casting also need to be considered ".
How Will You Fish?
You need to decide if you will be spinning or fly fishing. Spinning is usually done on the shore or on a boat while fly fishing is done in the water in either a stream or river. Both spinning and fly fishing requires different types of equipment for success.
What Storage Do You Need For Your Equipment?
Rods can be long and fragile with tips that break off easily which can affect your fishing experience. Poles usually come in two pieces that can be broken down without having to remove the line or the reel. Telescopic poles are even more compact and easy to travel with but have low quality selections. When storing poles, you need to be able to break them down to easily transport them in your car, kayak or boat.
Features To Consider
What Kind of Reel Do You Need?
There are three types of spinning reels including Spincast, Baitcast and Spinning Reels.
Spincast Reels have all the parts underneath the cover and the most basic and easy to use of the reels. These are most commonly used by beginners and children as they are simple to use. You just need to hold down a button to cast.
Spinning Reels are the most popular reels used by the general public. They cast longer distances with greater accuracy while still being easy to use and providing a lot of line capacity. You can also purchase extra spool which is easy to switch out while you are fishing. This gives you the flexibility of using different line on the same fishing trip without having to restring your entire line. These reels are best when catching fish under 20 pounds.
Bait Cast Reels are the hardest to use and require a lot of experience due to the high accuracy you need in casting them. Baitcast reels turn the spools when you cast and this can cause too much line to be released if you aren’t familiar with how to control your cast. It takes a lot of practice but ultimately gives you the most accurate cast once you learn how.
What Weight Does the Rod Need to Be?
This is determined by the type of fish you plan to catch. Your rod will either be fast, medium or slow which indicates how flexible your rod will be.
- Fast rods are the stiffest of the three types and it only bends at the tip.
- Medium Rods are the most popular and bend more than a fast rod and flex to about the middle point of the rod.
- Slow rods are the most flexible and bend all the way from the tip of the rod to the end.
What Material Should the Rod Be?
Rods are usually made out of graphite or fiberglass and can be either solid or tubular. Tubular rods are lighter since they are hollow and since solid rods are heavier they can handle larger fish but are heavier to hold. Fiberglass rods do not require a lot of maintenance and are resistant to corrosion and rust. They are also durable and flexible and perfect for beginners. Graphite rods are stronger and lighter than fiberglass but the tips are easier to break if they are hit against a boat or vehicle.
Mitchell 300 Pro Spinning Combo Rod and Reel
The Mitchell 300 Pro Spinning Rod and Reel has wonderful balance for a rod and reel combo and is very versatile for freshwater fishing. It is a 24 Ton graphite rod which gives it more strength and power than its fiberglass competitors. The Mitchell Pro Spinning guides and inserts are made of durable stainless steel. It is a medium weight rod that can handle test line between 180 yards and 12-pound test to 210 yards and a 14-pound test which gives you a large variety of fish that you can handle. The rod also features an adjustable drag that has the ability to adjust up to 14 pounds. The Mitchell Pro Spinning Rod has an EVA handle that provides greater comfort so you can enjoy many hours of fishing. It also comes in two pieces for easy storage.
The spinning reel offers even and accurate casting that provides good distance. It also features 10 bearings that have a gear ratio of 5:8:1 giving it 33” per turn. The Mitchell Pro Spinning Rod has an instant anti-reverse feature that provides even operation and greater control over the line. The Bail Halo is an innovative technology that gives the rod and reel combo its superior strength over other rod and reel combos in its class.
- Has 10 Bearings plus an instant Anti-Reverse for smooth operation.
- Includes an innovative Bail Halo for superior strength.
- Extremely strong and advanced polymeric body, aluminum spool and handle with a EVA knob.
- Smooth hybrid carbon fiber drag.
- 24 Ton graphite rod for sensitivity and strength.
- Stainless steel guides and inserts for reduced weight and durability.
Things We Liked
- Very smooth with quality ball bearings.
- Has great sensitivity.
- Great for both freshwater and saltwater fishing.
Things We Didn't Like
- Handle keeps slipping off.
- Rod will break in half during use.
- Tip will also snap off when in use.
Click here for more information on the Mitchell 300 Pro Spinning Combo Rod and Reel.
Plusinno Spinning Telescopic Saltwater-Freshwater Rod and Reel
The Plusinno TM Spin Rod and Reel Combo has a telescopic rod that is ideal when you are traveling and fishing. This combo can be used in both freshwater and saltwater applications allowing you to only have to carry one rod that will satisfy your most common travel fishing needs. It reduces down to an easy to carry compact size so it is easy to store on your boat, kayak or other location. It is a high quality telescoping rod that is a higher quality than most of its competitors.
The Plusinno Spin Rod and Reel Combo is made from carbon fiber mixed with fiberglass that gives you both strength and durability. Having a strong durable pole allows you to handle the weight of both smaller saltwater fish and all sizes of freshwater fish. The aluminum spool is water resistant and offers instant anti reverse for better control plus it has an EVA grip handle for increased comfort. It is a medium weight rod that offers stainless steel reel seats that are anti corrosive making it perfect for salt water applications. This rod works best for fish that are under 15 pounds and provides a quiet even action that is easy to carry wherever you travel.
- There are two types of combos to choose from.
- Full kit is special made for novice, including necessary accessories for fishing.
- Perfect elasticity from high density Carbon fiber mixed with fiberglass that makes your fishing pole hard and durable.
- Stainless Steel Hooded Reel Seats has anti-seawater corrosion.
- EVA Fore Grip for comfort.
- Portable telescopic fishing rod with a closed length design that is convenient carrying around.
- Medium power.
- Comes with extended handle.
- Instant anti-reverse.
- Power drive gear equipped for high strength.
- Deep aluminum spool with double color and one line holes.
- Includes a one year warranty.
Things We Liked
- Great reel and rod combo.
- Lightweight, has12 bearing reel and telescoping rod.
- Small storage area in bottom of rod.
Things We Didn't Like
- Rod cannot close all the way after its been used.
- Paid for the full kit but it didn't come with the line bait or hooks.
- Handle extension falls apart.
Click here for more information on the Plusinno Spinning Telescopic Saltwater-Freshwater Rod and Reel.
Daiwa Mini System Minispin Ultralight Spinning Reel and Rod Combo
The Daiwa Mini System Minispin Ultralight Spinning Reel and Rod Combo comes with a hard carrying case that is great for those that love to travel. The hard shell carrying case gives anglers a compact way to carry all of their fishing equipment and it is easy to keep in the car or put in your travel luggage. The Daiwa Ultralight Spinning Reel is an ultralight design that has a smooth ball bearing drive plus a multi disc drag. The Daiwa Mini System Minispin Ultralight Spinning Reel and Rod Combo also has a retrieval ratio of 5.1:1. It has the Twist Buster technology that prevents your line from getting tangled or twisted plus it has GyroSpin balancing. The rod will break down into five pieces for easy and compact storage and will hold a test line from 2 to 6 pounds.
- Created with the highest quality components.
- Used by professional fishermen worldwide.
- Tested for quality and durability.
- Created for anglers on the move with a compact tackle setup that comes in its own hard case plus it is ideal for stowing in luggage, backpacking, or keeping under a car seat.
- Ultralight MS-S500T reel with an even, ball bearing drive, multi-disc drag, 5.1-to-1 retrieve, GyroSpin balancing, and Twist Buster line twist reduction.
- Matching 4.5-foot, five-piece ultralight rod for two-to-six-pound test lines and 0.0625-to-0.25-ounce lures.
- Includes ultra-compact hard case plus built-in tackle compartments.
- Includes limited manufacturer's warranty.
Things We Liked
- Lightweight, great to carry in a backpack.
- Good and sturdy fishing pole, fun to use.
- Assembles and disassembles into a space smaller than a lunchbox.
Things We Didn't Like
- Have to remove the reel and reel handle to use the case.
- Not worth the money.
- Reel handle falls off easily.
Click here for more information on the Daiwa Mini System Minispin Ultralight Spinning Reel and Rod Combo.
The Quantum-Saltwater-Fishing-Torrent-TRS102MH is a two piece reel that is a great combo fishing rod and reel that you can take to the ocean for either pier or shore fishing. It has a 4.7:1 retrieval ratio. It is medium to heavy rod that will work for all your surf and pier fishing needs. This rod and reel has smooth casting and the line does not get twisted like lighter lines do. It has a three bearing system with a split EVA rod handle. The Quantum-Saltwater-Fishing-Torrent-TRS102MH also has an anodized spool that is saltwater protected that provides a long lasting spool. This is a fiberglass rod that comes with an aluminum oxide guide.
- 4.7:1 Gear ratio.
- Medium-heavy rod action, slit EVA rod handle.
- 3 Bearing system.
- Saltwater protected anodized spool.
- 2 Piece rod.
Things We Liked
- Great value and performance.
- Casts as well as more expensive rods.
- Great for surf casting.
Things We Didn't Like
- Fishing line doesn’t lock into the rod.
- Breaks after a couple of uses.
- Parts are hard to get.
Click here for more information on the Quantum-Saltwater-Fishing-Torrent-TRS102MH.
Pflueger 2 piece Apprentice Medium Spinning Rod and Reel
The Pflueger 2 piece Apprentice is a great rod for beginners as it is very sensitive and it makes it easy to feel little movement. It is a high quality rod made by the Pflueger brand. It is a two piece, medium action rod that has a graphite body and a cork handle that is both sturdy and comfortable that gives you a balanced feel when you are casting. It is easy to transport as it can be broken down into smaller parts. Because it can break down into smaller parts, it can be taken anywhere.
- Comes with a spinning reel with 5 stainless steel ball bearings plus a one-way clutch anti-reverse bearing.
- Lightweight graphite body and rotor machined aluminum spool.
- Has an aluminum handle with soft touch knob with Anti-twist line roller and Sure-Click bail.
- 7'0" Echelon IM -6 graphite combo rod for lightweight and increased sensitivity plus durable stainless steel framed guides with aluminum oxide inserts.
- Includes top grade cork handle for comfortable grip, lightweight graphite reel seat with stainless steel cushioned hoods and stainless steel double foot hook keeper.
Things We Liked
- Great value and great performance.
- Has metal rings in the hoops for durability.
- Casts well, has great sensitivity.
Things We Didn't Like
- Slight modifications are required.
- Spinning reel handle will fall off during use.
- Rod will break where two pieces join.
Click here for more information on the Pflueger 2 piece Apprentice Medium Spinning Rod and Reel.
The winner of the Best Spinning Rod and Reel Combo is the Plusinno Spinning Telescopic Saltwater-Freshwater Rod and Reel. The Plusinno is great when you are traveling or transporting your rod and reel combo to your fishing site. It’s a high quality telescoping rod that is made from carbon fiber that is mixed with fiberglass so it is both strong and durable. It has an aluminum spool that is water resistant and an EVA grip handle for comfort. The Plusinno is a medium power rod with great elasticity that comes with an extended handle. The definite winner of the Best Spinning Rod and Reel Combo is the Plusinno Spinning Telescopic Saltwater-Freshwater Rod and Reel.